Who can apply
You may be able to apply for a scooter loan from Go Smarter if you live or work in Northumberland and you are struggling to get to work or training because:
- of limited public transport
- you don’t have access to a car and there’s no opportunity to car share
- you are working unsociable hours
- you have a complex journey that would require a lot of changes on public transport
You must be aged between 16 and 68 years.
You’ll need to show us your valid UK driving licence or a provisional licence when you apply.
What you will get
- Personal travel plan
- Compulsory basic training (CBT)
- A 50cc or 125cc scooter (depending on your age and the type of driver's licence you hold)
- Personal protective equipment (PPE) up to the value of £200 - this includes:
Loan payments will be collected by Debit Card over the phone to the NW2W office at Cramlington on or before the agreed due date.
We will check the condition of the scooter each month and call your employer at the same time to confirm your continuing employment.
You must tell us about any changes in your status or damage caused to the scooter or any specific problems whilst it is in your possession.
What you will pay
In advance of the scooter handover, you will need to pay the first month's loan payment charge of £95.00 by Debit Card over the phone.
At the scooter handover, you will need to agree to the payment plan:
- You must make your loan payments according to the printed payment plan agreed at the scooter handover
- You must pay a total of £95.00 per calendar month for the period of the loan
- Failure to make the agreed payments will result in the scooter being repossessed
There is an insurance excess of £400.00, payable if the scooter is damaged or stolen.
- You must pay this immediately in the event of accident, damage or theft
Other key facts
|Minimum duration of hire||4 months|
|Maximum duration of hire||9 months|
|Option to purchase after hire period||In some circumstances|
How to apply
You will need to fully complete a NW2W application form and return it to the Cramlington office.
When we have received your application form, we will
- Check your eligibility for the scheme:
- Check your employment status with Jobcentre Plus and your new employer, training or employment agency
- Complete a credit check with Northumberland County Council
- Check your driver's licence status with DVLA
- Arrange a compulsory basic training (CBT) session
On completion of the above, we will take the first month’s loan payment in advance, and then arrange a handover of an appropriate scooter at the approved supplier’s premises (Fergusons of Blyth). In some circumstances, we may be able to arrange delivery.
This process can take anything from five to fifteen working days depending on your availability for interview, DVLA checks and CBT training.
To apply, or for more information, please email: email@example.com
A similar scooter loan scheme operates in some areas of Durham.