Who can apply
You may be able to apply for a scooter loan from Go Smarter if you live in eligible areas of County Durham* and you are struggling to get to work or training because:
- of limited public transport
- you don’t have access to a car and there’s no opportunity to car share
- you are working unsociable hours
- you have a complex journey that would require a lot of changes on public transport
You must be aged 16 years or older.
You’ll need to show us your valid UK driving licence or a provisional licence when you apply.
*The eligible areas of County Durham are Chester-le-Street, Stanley and the Mid Durham Area Action Partnership areas.
What you will get
- Personal travel plan
- Compulsory basic training (CBT)
- CBT Plus - additional safety training on the scooter you will hire
- A 50cc or 125cc scooter (depending on your age and the type of driver's licence you hold)
- Personal protective equipment (PPE) - this includes:
- Armoured jacket
You must tell us about any damage caused to the scooter.
What you will pay
- £25 per week for 50cc
- £30 per week for 125cc
- £5 per week reduction for low earners (below minimum wage)
There are no other charges, unless you cause wilful damage to the scooter.
Other key facts
|Minimum duration of hire||6 weeks|
|Maximum duration of hire||26 weeks|
|Option to purchase after hire period||Yes (with the help of a credit union loan)|
How to apply
When you apply, we need to:
- Check your eligibility for the scheme
- Check your employment status with Jobcentre Plus and your new employer, training or employment agency
- Check your driver's licence
- Arrange the basic training sessions
This can take up to two weeks.
To apply, please complete a Wheels to Work application.
For more information about this scheme, please contact Wheels to Work.
Due to funding restrictions, this scheme will close to new applications on 1 December 2017.